Hair type is defined by genetic factors, so every person has its own shape, color and hair structure features. To correctly pick up hair care for curls and make them irresistible, you need to understand their individual characteristics and needs.
How to determine hair type: the hair structure
The only thing that brings together different types of locks is the hair structure: it consists of a root and a stem. The hair root is located in the dermal layer of the head skin, in the hair sac – this is a hair follicle (hair bulb). Through blood vessels nutrients get into the hair bulb, special muscle provides mobility and sebaceous glands produce secretion to lubricate the hair.
How external part of hair will look like depends directly on the work of the sebaceous glands: if the amount of hair fat is normal, the hair will be soft and shiny; if a little – dry and dull; if in excess – too greasy.
How to determine hair type: what determines the hair density
The number of hair follicles in the head skin is genetically programmed, and we cannot significantly impact on this fact. Just imagine that nature laid 1 million follicles, but only 100-150 thousand are developed and turned into hair.
How many follicles will actively develop depends on the sex, age and nationality. Scientists determined even the relationship between the amount of hair (density) and their natural color:
• blondes – 150 thousand of actively developing hair follicles;
• brunettes – 100 thousand;
• redheads – only 80 thousand.
How to determine hair type: what affects the hair growth
Hair has its own life cycle. Each person has his own hair and it depends on age, nutrition, care, ecology, metabolism and, of course, of heredity. And the frequency of haircuts, contrary to popular belief, cannot accelerate hair growth intensity.
• active strong growth (in children – 13 mm per month, in adults – 15 mm per month, in the elderly – 11 mm per month);
• transition phase;
• ground state and hair loss.
If the head skin is healthy and hair bulb gets all necessary nutrients, then the phase of active growth of hair lasts from two to seven years. Then the nutrients stop getting to hair, so it stops growing and falls out. It is normal condition of hair, when at the same time actively grow 85% and only 1% falls out. When hair follicles are healthy, after old hair falls out, a new cycle of development of hair starts and curls do not lose its density. This process is repeated throughout life, but with age the hair growth cycle is shortened, they become thinner and lose its pigmentation.
Types of hair structure
The hair structure (i.e. thickness) is defined by the shape and size of the hair follicles. It is determined by race and different genetic factors.
1. Thick hair looks strong, heavy and bulky. Most frequently the owners of thick hair tell that it is hard for them to “subjugate their locks: style them as they want, and to pin-curl them. Moreover, such hair under its own weight quite quickly acquires their natural position – they are straightened.
2. The average thickness of hair is the most docile and pleasant care type of hair structure. Most haircuts fit to the owners of such hair, styling is kept long. Hair is flexible and easily painted in the desired color, hardy to perming and blow-out.
3. Thin hair often upset their owners by lack of hair volume. Even if a lot of hair follicles due to the intricacies of the curls, they seem rare. Such hair is brittle, often inclined to the split-ends, need regular moisturizing.
Hair styles by shape
To find out what is your hair type due to the shape – just take a look in the mirror. Hair shape depends on the structure of keratin in their make-up, as well as the location of the hair follicle in the head skin layers. For instance, straight hair is perpendicular to the skin, wavy – have a slight curve, and curly – S-shaped. Then, you cannot change the shape of your hair once and for all life – you can apply only the interim means.
1. Straight hair (they are called smooth) lay down smoothly and without creases.
2. Wavy hair lay down with a small wave. They are soft, it is easy to style them: to straighten or to pin-curl stronger.
3. Curly hair usually forms tight spirals. They look bulky and thick. It is difficult to “tame” them, as they can easily return to the natural form.
Also we know other type of hairs:
– Combined hair type
See more information about hair type on WikiHow.